As you may have read in my last blog post about my Windows 7 installation, I finally took the leap to upgrade from Vista. I had heard lots of good things about Windows 7 — it was more stable, faster, interesting new features, etc.
Aside from the fact that it took awhile to both:
- download and
…it also had a few “default” settings that I had to work through. Luckily there was a guy on Twitter that helped me out. God knows that Microsoft Technical Support is wanting. More on that in another blog post. This is about the Microsoft Store support. Two totally different animals.
Not a Two-for-One Special
First, let me say that I use Firefox as a default browser. Yet, I realize that if I’m going to buy a Microsoft product and download it from a Microsoft site I better damn well be using Microsoft Internet Explorer. So, I launched the version of Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 I had on my desktop and proceeded to try and download Windows 7 Home Premium.
I began to go through the routine to purchase and download and my system froze. I clicked. I waited. I clicked. Nothing. All I had done was select the product I wanted, started to fill out my contact info part of the form and the sucker froze. So, I closed the browser and re-launched Internet Explorer 8. Under normal circumstances I would have thought that all the data I had entered would have been dumped. Lost. Not saved.
I was wrong.
The second time I was able to get through the whole purchase process complete with credit card number and the whole nine yards when, lo and behold, TWO copies of the same product were in my cart. The worst part is that there was no way to delete anything. This surprised the hell out of me. Normally, shopping carts in many an e-commerce site has a way to delete items or even “update” by increasing the number of items. Not so at the Microsoft Store.
Phone Support Was Excellent
I needed to call to get one of them removed. It’s not that I wouldn’t love to give Microsoft some more money. Well, OK, I really don’t want to give Microsoft more money. It was just a pain in the patootie that I had to call.
Luckily, though, Microsoft Store support actually had a phone number that connected to a real, live person who spoke flawless English. And someone answered the phone before I reached retirement age.
She was friendly, competent and knew how to resolve my “issue”. It took about 5 minutes for the money for the extra product that had inadvertently been purchased to be credited back to my card. I got the reference number and, voila, I was done.
Well, almost. I still had to go through the download and installation but the Microsoft Store part of the transaction was complete and Microsoft had a happy customer.
Microsoft must have known everything worked out because they sent me this nice customer satisfaction survey the next day.
This was not the case with Microsoft Technical Support which is another story and completely different experience. Something I’ll write about in the next blog post.